marital dissolution Middlesex County

Marital Dissolution | Middlesex County, NJ

A dissolution of marriage, unlike a divorce, can eliminate much of the process and expenses of a regular divorce. Dissolution is often treated as a “no-fault” divorce, thus removing the need or issues for any fault grounds.


The request for a dissolution can’t be filed until the parties involved have reached an agreement on the issues that would normally be addressed in a divorce. Such as residential ownership, child support, spousal support, visitation rights, property division, and payments of debts and fees. During these negotiations, there is no subpoena available (court power that requires those involved to attend). The parties have to voluntarily partake; however, professionals can be hired to negotiate and evaluate on their clients behalf.


Once an agreement is reached, the hearing must take place within 30 to 90 days. Both parties are required to appear, and testify that the agreement is satisfactory. They must also testify that they have disclosed all assets and liabilities, sign the agreement, and claim that they both want the marriage dissolved. The agreement must also be approved by the court.


As the court is not involved until a solution is reached, all of the temporary orders, and hearings normally in a divorce case are avoided. Regardless of the choice between a divorce or dissolution, the marriage is terminated.



marital dissolution Middlesex County

Email Sign Up

Submit your email to reserve our monthly tax tips.

marital dissolution Middlesex County Sam Fisher is one of only a few CPA's in New Jersey certified by the American College of Forensic Examiners.

Licensed both in New Jersey and New York, the practice focuses on small and medium-sized businesses including restaurants. We specialize in working with professionals like attorneys and doctors where our attention to detail and sound accounting practices has provided significant benefits to our clients. Our office is located in New Brunswick.
Contact us by contact form or call (732) 846-1700 to schedule an appointment.